This Haywood Community College Creative Arts Continuing education studio is well equipped to offer a variety of classes and workshops. There are courses on woodcarving and wood construction, both Beginning and Intermediate Stained Glass and Basketry. Lapidary courses are slated to begin soon.
The studio is approximately 31’ x 29’ and can provide space for up to 16 students. The classroom includes eight 3’ x 6’ butcher block top wooden worktables. Metal stools with backrests serve as seating for this studio. Much or all of the equipment and tools necessary for these courses is provided for student check out in the studio.
The following list of equipment will give you an idea of what you can expect to find during your class here at Haywood Community College. Although we do have this equipment, if something is not necessary for your class, it may not be available for your use. Your instructor will determine the equipment used by your class and it will be appropriate to the techniques taught.
The studio includes:
- Wet Belt Sander
- Rock Tumbler
- 3- 6 Wheel Diamond grinder
- Ring Saw
- Self propelled power miter trim saw
- Came Saw
- 2 – Diamond Glass Grinders
- 8″ Diamond Wheel disc finisher/polisher
- Light Box
- 12- Soldering Stations
- 2- 14″ Band Saws
- Long neck angle grinder including chainsaw and grinding attachments
- Heavy Duty Bench Grinder
- Dust handling unit
- 12″ Double Bevel Compound Miter Saw
- 2 – Cordless Driver Drills
- Pneumatic Stapler
- 2 -Razortip Wood Burners with assorted tips
- Table top Sandblaster
- Personal Safety Protection Equipment including safety glasses, ear protection, and face shields
- Assorted clamps
- Hand tools including carving tools, Glass cutters and many others.
On the first meeting of your class, you will go through a formal safety talk regarding all elements of your course, studio and facility.
Studio Clean Studio Clean up
Students can anticipate a daily cleanup that will be done at the end of each class. Studio cleanup is mandatory.
Learn About Continuing Education